Sunday, February 3, 2013

Getting Into the Spring of Things

Well, the winter garden has just about been completely harvested.  I still have carrots growing like crazy, and the eggplant is in full glory.  I've been getting at least one eggplant a week, and they are pretty large.  I've had to pull out most of the tomatoes, as they were finished, and picked some green ones shown here, and plan on having some nice fried green tomatoes for dinner.  Yes, I know they are not good for you, but boy oh boy do they taste good :-) 

A new addition to my garden, is the sink my husband put in for me.  Only $45 online, and I'm now able to wash the veggies before dragging them in the house, and putting the dirt down the disposal.  What I like most is the ability to wash my hands without having to fiddle with the hose to do so. 



I've added some compost blend (mentioned in previous post "It's all in the dirt", and felt that I needed to also add some vermiculite to the boxes. I still have some broccoli left over from the fall/winter garden on the left, and the bell peppers are surprisingly doing just wonderful!



I've planted some tomato seedlings (Juliette), along with some other indeterminate types Better Boy, and Big Boy in the back part of the box.  I purchased one Better Boy, and 1 Big Boy, and wanted to compare them with my seedlings of the same variety, and see if there is a difference.  I've had so many problems with the broccoli that I purchased (rot), I've been turned off of purchasing the plants, and figured I'd give a shot at growing my own from certified seeds.  I've thrown in some marigolds to attract the bees too.

New Juliet tomato seedlings


1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you know this, but the Nasturtiums are great in salads! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my page.